"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." ~Vladimir Nabakov

Thursday, August 2, 2012

An Interview with Vencenzo


This is inspired by a fun little meme I found, which I decided to have Vennie answer as if he was being interviewed. A good way to get to know him I think. By the way, his favorite color is blue.



So, first, why don't you tell me a little about yourself?

The name is Vencenzo Veronesi. What do you wanna know exactly? I'm 21; I'm in the real estate business. Hotels, dance halls, investments you know. Don't get any ideas about my age. So I'm young -  I'd say I'm doing pretty well so far; it's only gonna get better. *smiles* You want a coffee? *motions for drinks to be brought over*

A   If you were an ANIMAL, what would you be?
Hmm, what a question…maybe a wolf; they’re at their best in a pack, and I’ve always seen my family in that way. We stick together. Wolves have a bad rap, but they're loving - that's what I've read anyway. Just the farmers that hate 'em make them out to be evil but they're not bad, they're just being wolves.

B   BOOKS: What's on your reading list?
I don’t have the time to read that I’d like, but when I find the time, I’d really like to read ‘Howard’s End’. Maria loves it, says it's the bee's knees. Besides, no matter how good my English is, and it is - you can tell, practice makes perfect they say.

C   COMPULSIVE about anything?
Compulsive? No, not really.

D   DREAMS - Do you ... dream in color? remember your dreams? keep a dream journal?
Of course I dream in color. No, I don’t keep a journal. Do you think I have time for things like that?

E   EATING - what's your usual snack?
Oh, I love to stop down at Garziano's and get a Mr. G. Mmmmm.

F   A Few of your FAVORITE Things
Oh, you know, family, friends, and good food. What else is there?

G   GIGGLES! What (or who) makes you laugh? Do you have a good sense of humor?
I love to laugh, of course! Hans makes me laugh all the time, though I know he doesn’t mean to *laughs* Maria can be funny too, when she wants to be. And Uli’s such a card, when I stop in at the Roost!  Of course Grandpa was always ready with a good joke! Well, he still is, just, you know – back home.

H   major HOT Button:
Hmm, I guess just don’t lie to me. I can’t stand liars. ‘Don’t have enough respect to be on the level with me, then you and I won’t be friends, capito?

I   I am ______________
Me. I’m Vencenzo Veronesi. That’s all that comes to mind.

K   Also KNOWN As... Aliases?
I don’t have to hide who I am.

L   I LOVE ...
Um, *pause*  My family, of course.

M   How do you feel about MEETING people? Do it all the time? Rarely?
I meet people all the time, naturally.

N   What's the story of your NAME? were you named after anyone? Do you go by a nickname? Any aliases?
I already said, I don’t have aliases.  What do you think I am, some two-bit palooka who has to hide his identity? Anyway, I had some great, great grandpa on my mama's said named Vencenzo. Some people call me Vennie. Don’t. Scusa, that’s just for my closest friends.

O   OBSERVANT - What's around you right now? What do you see?
Well, my desk, telephone…the usual. *turns* And out the window, the city, of course. There’s some fog, but what are you gonna do?

P   Who are the special PEOPLE in your life?
Of course my Nonno, he taught me everything I know; Maria, she’s a bit of a bearcat, but she’s my sister. Solodad and Giovanni are stand up and always trustworthy. Of course, Hans. He’s my closest friend, 'saved my life more times than I can count.

Q   Any Little QUIRKs About Yourself:
What do you mean? *Runs hand up through hair* ‘Think I’m some kinda loon?

R   What do you like to do for RECREATION?
Oh, the usual. ‘Catch a sox game or a fight. *looks out the window* Of course, I like the little things like a quiet coffee or just going out for walk on the pier.

S   Do You SING in the Shower? In the car? For your friends?
Sing? I sing at mass. I sing along with the radio sometimes, nothing unusual about that.

T   What's at the Top of your TO DO list?:
I just get my job done every day.  I don’t write lists.

U   Any UNUSUAL Experiences:
I don’t know what you mean by that.

V   Vienna, Venice, Vladivostok... How far have you traveled? What's your favorite City?
*Laughs* All V’s I see! Well, I guess if we're talking out of the United States, I'll keep with the V's and say Verona. You can tell by my name, see? But not my accent, right? Oh hell – you wouldn’t know. Anyway, My grandpa’s from Verona, the whole line of the family on that side for as far back as it goes, but see, he fell in love with grandma, God rest her soul, and moved down to Palermo to be with her. ‘Caused kind of stir with the family up north. *laughs* 'Course grandma's family had money, so that helped smooth it over with grandpa's parents, and now, you can’t throw a stick without hitting a Veronesi down south. And everyone knows the name. I did like visiting Verona when I was younger...of course, no city has done me so well as Chicago. This is my home now. *sips his espresso*

W   WINTER, Spring, Summer, Fall... What's your favorite season? What makes it special?
Hm…I’d say maybe Fall. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know.

X   EXes - Things You Don't Do Anymore (but did, once )(would you, again?)
I don’t really know what you mean about that. I used to paint some…I guess I’d pick it up again if I had the time. Maybe when I retire.

Y   Any secret/deep YEARNINGS?
No. What are you implying? This is like that alias question, isn’t it? Don’t fuck with me. We’re almost done, right?

Z   ZERO to ZENITH - Where are you in your life? On an upward or downward curve?
Up. It’s the only way to go.

I hope that was a fun way to get to know one of the main characters! Who should we interview next? I might use this meme again, and I might find another.

Fun links for jazz-age lingo: 1 and 2

No comments:

Post a Comment