"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible." ~Vladimir Nabakov

Monday, February 27, 2012

Inspired by my brilliant cousin, Ribbons Undone, I've decided to make this blog a regularly updated thing. I'll be posting when able, but certainly at least once a month, if not more often. Here, you will find bits of my writing, (which I have hitherto been exceptionally private about), my art, and occasional blogging of daily life.

As to my writing, I have several works in progress, each of which will have excerpts posted here.
I do hope to publish some day, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be posting any of them in their entirety, with the exception of 'Avenging Asgard'.

What have I got in my mind?

Fantasy/Fairytale
  • The Pale Prince:   
Inspired by Snow White, I'm taking a twist on the old fairytale. The protagonist is a prince born with somewhat striking features, he loses everything, and on the way back to claim his throne from a usurping uncle he meets many new friends and enemies, finds love, is affected by magic and the wizened hands who hold the threads of fate. 
Will be three novels and a prequel. Um...this will take me a while. I'm still building his world.
  • Wandering Moon:  
The story of a mysterious girl who wakes in a yew grove with no memory of how she got there or who she is. Marked by a moon on her forehead and stars on her sides, she carries the signs of old magic, though she does not know it. Aided by two witches and a wolf, she makes friends and enemies along her way to finding her identity. 
A novella.
  • Elena:
The story of a 2nd generation Russian-American girl who moves from a big northwestern city to a small southeastern town with only her eccentric, sometimes embarrassing architect parents and her fat cat Anatoli. Elena escapes the monotony of home and befriends two strange sisters who run the cafe and bookshop downtown. It is there that one day she picks up an unmarked book, full of old spells written in the language of her ancestors. Previously unfamiliar with the archaic Cyrillic written in the book, she is surprised to find that she understands what is written. Entranced by the strange book, she is hardly without it, missing meals and sleep, she finds herself whispering the words to spells not spoken in centuries, until one day she decides to try one and her world changes forever.
 A short-story.

Historical Fiction
  • The Winter's Summer
 Set in the summer of 1931, this is the story of three sisters, responsible 25 year old Roselyn, outspoken 23 year old Daisy, and rebellious 20 year old Amelia. Deciding to take control of their own lives they leave all that is known, accepted, and expected of them behind to embark on a dangerous but hopefully liberating adventure.
A novella.

  • 1920: Inter Bellum
The story of Vencenzio, a young made man and his complex world of family, enemies and forbidden love. Set in Chicago amidst a world of speakeasys, opium dens, and brothels.
A novel

No comments:

Post a Comment